Images © Crown copyright (2007) Visit Wales
The Area & Things to do
There is a huge variety of activities and amenities available in the Machynlleth area. Here are just a few...
- Machynlleth Town is the Ancient Capital of Wales - with a street market every Wednesday, butcher, baker, internet cafe, supermarket, banks, art galleries, clothes, ironmongers, Aga shop, excellent secondhand book shops, antiques, cafes, Fish and Chips, Pizzeria, Eco home products and more...
Beaches at Aberdovey, Borth and Ynyslas, all within easy reach,
Mountains - walking untrodden paths through the hills, Glyndwr's Way, mountain biking, bird-watching, painting, photography, picnics by waterfalls, bike hire available in Machynlleth on daily/weekly basis (bike storage available in a barn next to our farmhouse),
Bird watching - a wide variety of species can be seen from the cottages - Redstarts, Tree Pipits, Meadow Pipits, Willow Warblers, Black Cap, Whitethrout, Red Kite, Grasshopper Warbler and many more unusual and common species. The RSPB reserve at Ynys-hir is a short drive away, as is the Dyfi Osprey Project where you can see live images of a pair of osprey on the nest on the estuary (until they migrate in September.
- Culture - Museum of Modern Art Wales in Machynllth, Ceredigion Museum, Arts Centre and the National Library of Wales all at Aberystwyth, the Machynlleth Festival in August
- Good food - excellent pubs and restaurants, great fish caught locally, locally produced bacon, fresh eggs from our own hens
Environment - Centre for Alternative Technology at Machynlleth
- Wildlife - Red Kite country, Dyfi Osprey Project, otters, doormice, wild flowers, badgers, dolphins in Cardigan Bay,
- Pubs - A great choice in Machynlleth, or further afield at Pennal, Mallywd, Cemmaes, Aberdovey,
- Golf - at Aberdovey, Borth & Ynyslas, and Machynlleth Golf Clubs,
- Fishing on the famous River Dovey and local lakes and mackerel fishing from Aberdyfi - day tickets available locally,
- Leisure - Country Club spa at Pennal, swimming pool and leisure centre in Machynlleth, cycle hire and Mountain Biking Trails
- Sailing/Boat/Fishing Trips from Aberdovey, temporary membership available at Aberdovey Yacht Club
- Steam Railways through some stunning scenery - Talyllyn, Vale of Rheidol
- Underground caves - King Arthur's Labyrinth at Corris
- Crafts - Corris Craft Centre
- Horse Riding - Rheidol Riding Centre near Aberystwyth
- Rally Driving - Half and Full day courses at Carno
- Quad Bike Riding - Beiciau Madian Quads at Penegoes
- Clay Pigeon Shooting - Dovey Valley Shooting Ground
Please see links for further information on some of these activities.